Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:47:49 EST
This message was sent to Maps-L by Larry Cruse.----------Johnnie

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 10:58:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Norman E. Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Fullerton Librarians -- Albert J. Milo" <[log in to unmask]>,

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 15:25:20 -0800
SENDER: George Gundrey <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Mexico WWW Site Now Available!!!

LATEST INTERNET TOOLS FURTHER THE CAUSE OF SOCIAL JUSTICE IN MEXICO

PeaceNet, NACLA, LADB Join Forces in Publishing Mexico Information via the
Internet.

(SAN FRANCISCO, CA) - November 1, 1994.  PeaceNet, the San Francisco-based
non-profit computer network, announced today its release on the Internet
of the "Mexico Out of Balance" World Wide Web information resource.  With
this release, the vast Internet community gains instant access to
hard-to-find, in-depth information and analysis concerning political,
economic, labor and trade issues in Mexico. This project also marks the
first collaboration among three of the most respected organizations
working in the field of Latin American information and news -- the North
American Congress on Latin America (NACLA), the Latin America Data Base
(LADB) and PeaceNet.

The information resource, titled "Mexico Out of Balance" and released in a
World Wide Web (WWW) format, includes articles, pictures and artwork from
the July/August issue of "NACLA Report on the Americas", articles from
LADB's SourceMex - Economic News & Analysis, plus information from the
PeaceNet computer network.  It gives a comprehensive overview of the
situation in Mexico, particularly during the recent period of unrest, with
political analysis from NACLA and economic trend information from LADB's
SourceMex.  Highlights include an interview with Subcomandante Marcos, an
analysis of National Party Politics, and an outline of cross-border
corporate expansion and labor organizing.

"We feel that it is imperative that the Internet and the new Information
Superhighway technology be used to disseminate information that is more
thought provoking and in-depth than five o'clock news sound bites" said
PeaceNet's Program Coordinator, George Gundrey.  "This has always been a
big part of PeaceNet's mission.  By presenting alternative perspectives,
and bringing information to public's attention that otherwise is hard to
find, we feel we are contributing to social justice and respect for human
rights in Mexico."

The "Mexico Out of Balance" resource complements a wide range of
information collected in the Progressive Directory which resides on IGC's
World Wide Web Server. This server points to the best alternative and
progressive resources available on the Internet - resources hosted by IGC
and by other Internet hosts.

To access the "Mexico Out of Balance" web site, use the URL

http://www.igc.apc.org/nacla/mexico.html

or go to the IGC Progressive Directory.  The IGC Progressive Directory
can be accessed at

http://www.igc.apc.org.

Founded in 1966 to encourage a democratic transformation of U.S.
Inter-American politics, NACLA has become one of the most respected
sources of progressive research and analysis on Latin America and
Caribbean.  With over 30,000 readers in 72 countries, the bi-monthly
"NACLA Report on the Americas" is the most widely read English-language
publication on the region.

LADB was created in 1985 with the objective of generating timely,
comprehensive information on the Latin American region, and making this
information easily accessible to scholars, business people, activists, and
government officials.  LADB produces three publications containing
information that is difficult to find elsewhere: SourceMex, the Chronicle
of Latin American Economic Affairs, and NotiSur.

PeaceNet is the foremost computer network serving activists and
organizations working for peace, human rights and social justice.  The
PeaceNet, EcoNet, ConflictNet and LaborNet computer networks together
comprise the Institute for Global Communications (IGC), a nonprofit
umbrella organization that supports computer networking for progressive
causes, focusing on peace and social justice, human rights, conflict
resolution, labor and environmental issues.  Through its international
partners in the Association for Progressive Communications, IGC exchanges
information daily with over 22,000 people in 154 countries, including most
of Latin America.  PeaceNet provides computer networking services,
including complete Internet access and publishing through World
Wide Web and gopher.

For more information, contact George Gundrey at 415-442-0220 ext 109,
e-mail <[log in to unmask]>.