From:
Kenton Spading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:19:54 EDT
Hello,
My name is Kenton Spading.   I live in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Phone,  612-290-5623,   fax,   612-631-9084
TIGHAR Research

I am looking for bibliographic information about British Hydrographic maps.  I
am using a hydrographic  map as part of a research project I am working on.   I
am going to include the map as an enclosure.   It is a key part of my research.
I want to include a section in my report that discusses the history of these
maps and some background information.   My local map library at the University
of Minnesota was not able to supply me with this information and suggested that
I try this forum.
A description of the map I am working with is included below.   My questions
are:

Is there a reference book that discusses these maps?   Where can I get
background information about  the British Hydrographic Maps series?   The map I
have is dated 1925.    How many editions of this map were published after this
date?   Where can I view or obtain copies of later editions of these maps?

I have included some information about my research at the end of this message in
case you are interested in my project.   Thank you for your help!

The map I have is labeled as follows:

[top center of the map]

North America
South East Coast of
Newfoundland
Bays Bulls to Placentia
Surveyed by Capt Orlebar, R.N.
Assisted by
Com Hancock, Messr Cary Clifton, Des Brisay & Hyndman, R.N.

[bottom center margin of the map]

London, Published by the Admiralty Oct 15th 1864 under the
Superintendence of Capt. G.H. Richards, R.N. Hydrographer
New Editions May 1872, 14th June 1911, 13th March 1914
Sold by J.D. Potter, Agent for the Admiralty Charts, 145 Minories

[lower left corner margin]

Small corrections VIII - 14  X - 15
at this point various dates with  numbers are listed extending from 1919 to 1925

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
I am doing research into folklore from the Avalon Pennisula in New Foundland,
Canada.   The folklore revolves around stories involving an "airplane in the
pond".   The plane could be any of a number of planes that were lost in the area
during the early attempts at trans-Atlantic air crossings (prior to early 1927).
In particular I am looking for a French plane called the White Bird.   The White
Bird disappeared (May 9, 1927) in an attempt to make the first solo Atlantic
crossing.    It is historically significant due to the fact that Charles
Linbergh's successful flight occurred only 10 days later.   Mr. Lindbergh's
flight forever changed trans-Atlantic travel and signaled the beginning of the
end of the elegant ocean liners.   Did the French make it to North America
first....... crashing in the process?    The hydrographic maps are proving to be
crucial in my efforts at deciphering the folklore and old documents.

The alleged pond is in a very remote wildnerness area (most of the Avalon is
Wildnerness) south of St. John's.   Sifting through the folklore has been
hampered by the fact that place names on the Avalon change frequently from one
addtion of a map to another.   As a result it is impossible to use current maps
to resolve folklore dating from 50 years ago.   I was able to locate some
British hydrographic maps in the New Foundland Provincial Archives and now need
some background information about them (see above).

Thank you
Kenton Spading