From:
The Schuls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:20:17 EST
Hello,

I recently received an old British road atlas with no apparent date in it.
It predates the motorways, and possibly Irish independence, but I can't tell
exactly how old it is.

If anyone who has access to British road maps from the early part of this
century could help me determine the date of the atlas, I would really
appreciate it.  Please tell me some telling roads or cultural features that
I can look for.

The islands of Great Britain and Ireland are broken down into 26 1"=12 mi
maps showing main highways and towns, though the highways are not numbered.
The A-roads (for Great Britain) are shown on a smaller key map at the back
of the atlas.  Three additional maps at a scale of either 1"=3 mi or 1"=2 mi
show London, the Lake District, and the Snowdon district.

If the format of telephone numbers or postal codes might help, I'll be happy
to provide them.  The atlas was produced for Dunlop tyres by Ed. J. Burrow &
Co., with Bartholomew maps.

Thank you,

Dave Schul
Department of Geography