From:
jkowalyk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 17:14:32 EST
This is a hypothetical query to generate some discussion.

Supposing you have, in your library, digital data, or digitized
maps, broken down into numerous tiles, files, or directories
in some electronic format (disk, CDROM, tape, etc.).

Would you give serious consideration to processing an
Inter-Library-Loan (ILL) type of request from another academic
institution, for that data, in whole, or, in part?

Would you consider generating a request for digitized data,
in whole, or in part, from another academic institution, on
behalf of your library clients?

I was also wondering if any of you have a copy of the
"SOIL MAP OF THE WORLD" as digitized to CD by
the Land and Water Development Division of the FAO?

To follow up on another matter:
Prior to Christmas '95, I sent out a memo asking you to consider
questions you might want to put in a survey of academic faculty
on their level of GIS knowledge, or interest with a view to designing
a library based GIS service for that community. All respondants
expressed a high degree of interest; asked to be kept informed on the
results of my query, but only one made any suggestions for possible
questions. As such, I have nothing to summarize for the list on that
matter. We are still exploring this issue in our own library.