Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:09:56 EST
Laura,  I have been out ill and did not have an opportunity to review my
non-emergency EMAIL.  (My assistant established this catagory!)
If you have not receive the information you need about compact shelving please
let me know and I will be happy to supply any information I have. The
University of Florida was the first institution to have compact shelving design
ed for map cases and installed on moveable carriages.  Since I was responsible
for our part of the operation, I was asked to write several articles about it
If you have not already seen it, the most informative article is about 20
pages long with photographs.  It is in the December, issue of the Bulletin of
the Special Libraries Association Geography and Map Division.  The year is
either 1992 or 1993. (sorry I can't get at my Bulletin's now)  The National
Archives studied adapted the design based on ours for their new building.  Many
of the photographs in my article came from their site visit.  We have 123 map
cases, aerial photo housing and oversized atlases in our compact shelving.

If you would like to see the article or have any questions about our compact
shelving please give me a call at 352-392-2828.   HelenJane Armstrong, Head
University of Florida Map & Imagery Library.