From:
Alice Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:52:55 EDT

fyi mapfolk

I was pleased to see this citation on h-urban this morning, particularly the
info about the Maps of the West [sorry Johnnie] as I had just finished
examinging the American Libraries insert of reading resources to go along with
the lates Burns epic on The West to be seen on your local PBS station.  The
American Libraries handout, aimed at your generic librarians across the land,
has NOT ONE cartographic resource. [Steam is coming out my ears...]

So here at least is a Web resource we can all promote, and I wouldn't mind
hearing from others about map resources they would pull out for "show & tell"
during the hoopla while the series is on the air.

Isn't there a nice National Geographic map of the West from their series of
several years ago? and then, gee whiz, one of ALA's own Divisions, MAGERT, did a
book on the mapping of the West. So, go figure.

I checked out the UVA cite, and it is truly wonderful. Now the Georgia
stuff...is quite wonderful too.  Alice Hudson, Map Division, NYPL