From:
Quinn Koller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 14:17:05 EDT

The use of the term depends on your cultural orientation.  Iranians tend to
refer to the Gulf as the Persian Gulf (ethnic Persians), whereas the other
countries tend refer to it as the Arabian Gulf (all majority ethnic Arab
states).  US usage was determined by its foreign policy which used to have good
relations with Iran and poor relations with the Arab states.  One wonders if the
usage would be changed if the Saudi's and Kuwaiti's lodged a diplomatic protest?

NB  this information is based on a conversation I had with a middle east policy
expert at the US State Department, while I was a map librarian there about 3
years ago.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Quinn R. Koller                 [log in to unmask]
Map Librarian
GeoSystems Global Corp.