Sender:
From:
HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:14:40 EST
Thank you to Paul Leverenz for his humorous request for transliteration of
all the Acronyms used in the "ASCLA's proprosed merger with GODART".  It
is a timely reminder to all of us to be more careful about Acronyms when
posting messages to MAPS-L.  While I know all professions have their own
vocabularly, it seems like the library and GIS communities have more then
their fair share.  It is amazing how many agencies and commerical firms are
trying to incorporate GIS (Geographic Information Systems) into their
name/acronym.  Another good example of this is the use of ESR as in Earth
Science Research or Environment Systems Resources or Earth Satellite
Resources, etc.

I for one, will try to be more careful about acronyms in my future messages.
Now if only I could simplify my life further, by remembering the new names
and acronyms of ASCS and SCS (United States Agricultural and Stabilization
Conservation Service and the United States Soil Conservation Service).

HelenJane Armstrong
Head, Map & Imagery Library
University of Florida