From:
Connie Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:53:04 EST

Folks--
        We just ran into an odd situation.  We got a request about
rock-hounding/mineral collecting/gold panning in Washington State from a
fellow incarcerated in a state prison in another state.  We were all set
to send out an ordinary response, when we heard back from the prison: They
said prisoners are **never** to receive maps-- that means maps of any
place, whether near their own prison or not.  Text is OK; maps are
strictly forbidden.
        Have you encountered this kind of thing before?  Is there some
kind of UW/WAML/Magert/LC policy/statement on this kind of thing?
        Thanks.

        Connie Manson
        Washington Div. Geology & Erth Resources
        Olympia, WA