From:
"J. B. Post" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:59:55 EST
   While watching different news programs last night, it was rather obvious
that different stations use different services for the weather maps used.  The
information is essentially the same, yet the "maps" themselves do vary in how
the information is presented.  Some are rather gimmicky in how they catch the
eye - the "fly-through" 3-D one is the most obvious.  Has any study been done
on the design of these graphics?  I ask, being somewhat out of the current
mapping field.  If not, is this an area for NACIS to address?  I haven't seen
one that I can't understand, but the "base maps" do vary in how an area is
depicted.  And does your average viewer even care, using the charisma of the
weather person as the criteria of which to choose to watch?

                         J. B. Post