From:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:45:13 EST
Nat Case <[log in to unmask]> writes:
Subject:      Re: legends etc.

 >One of my co-workers raised an interesting question this morning: is
 >there a single term to describe those graphical elements on a printed
 >map which are not actually map elements: legend, scale, index gridlines,
 >cover, index, etc.? I looked in my copy of Robinson, and didn't see
 >anything.

Check out the April GIS World. I got so many responses to this
question when I asked it online a couple of months ago (and got some
really oddball answers), that this became the subject of this month's
"GIS Online" column.

Turns out there really is no common word to describe this concept
(even though we've had maps with "marginalia", "symbol salad", "map
furniture", "gilding", "cartouches" and so on, for thousands of years),
but I got quite a handfull of suggestions from the normal to the
bizzare, and only two repeats.  And I asked only ONE map-oriented
mailing list!

_   /|   Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
=(___)=  GISnet BBS - GIS & Desktop Mapping 303-447-0927 (data line)
   U     GIS & Mapping Web  http://www.gisnet.com/gis/index.html
---
 ~ GISnet BBS  303-447-0927  Boulder, Colorado