From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 12:10:50 EDT
3 messages.--------------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:22:38 PST
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: Forwarded mail.... (fwd)

Regarding Mary Boccaccio's request for advice on moving full map cases (oversizeat that): Don't even try!  At best you will have damaged flanges which fit the
cases together (assuming they could even be lifted.  The potential for bodily
damage and sever case damage is great.  The drawers should be removed and moved
separately.

Greg Durocher
USGS ESIC/Anchorage

>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 16:36:02 -0500 (EST)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Forwarded mail.... (fwd)

We have always had good luck with pulling the drawers and putting them on a
flatbed and then moving the cases.  The drawers can be wrapped in a protective
cover if necessary.  Our vertical cases all have wheels so that makes it easier.
A special case for topos has to be unloaded, the shelves stacked, the case
moved and then shelves put back in.  Best planis to label shelves ahead of
time.
Evron S. Collins
Bowling Green State University
Jerome Library
(419)3727905

----------------------------------

>From: "Judith Scurfield" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:          Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:07:59 +1000
>Subject:       Moving map cases

Mary Boccaccio

When we moved our map collection here at the State
Library of Victoria (Australia) we took each
drawer out of the case, put a Corex (a heavy
corrugated plastic) cover cut to fit under the
back and front flaps on top and then moved the
drawers on pallets and the cases as empty shells.

Our drawers were also very full and things did
not slip about for that reason either! We worried
that moving them full would be too heavy for
the movers and also worried about the draweres
sliding out of their cases, packing tape not
being that strong! If you have bars that go
through the handles this may be strong enough
to hold the drawers in.

Our method worked quite well but we had an awful
lot of Corex to get rid of after the move!!

Have fun!

Estelle