From:
"Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:26:33 EDT

This is in response to Scott McEathron's comments and questions on what to
do with atlas records still on the Books format after Format Integration,
Phase 2.

OCLC users should send 'type code' change requests to OCLC when using
existing atlas records still on the Books format.  We will change the Type,
usually within  a 24 hour period.  The user can then complete processing
using the record which is now on the Maps format.  If the record is at
K-level, the user can upgrade the record to I-level.  Fields which are
mandatory or required for the Maps format must be present.  At I-level,
fields 007, 052, 255 and 034 (if AACR2), 507 (pre-AACR2) are fields which
are mandatory or required.   Check Bibliographic Formats and Standards for
the standards for other fields.  Also, remember that the geographic
classification codes are based on the map classification numbers in the
G-schedule, not the atlas numbers.

When we at OCLC change the Type to 'e'  there will be some fields we cannot
supply.  Some examples are field 052 and field 255.   If users report Type
code changes on I-level records and have that information, it would be
helpful if they could supply it to us.

There are currently four ways to report type code changes (phone, paper
change request, change request via e-mail and PRISM online).  See
Bibliographic Formats and Standards, p. 60-64, and Technical Bulletin 209,
p4, for complete information on how to report type code changes.

We plan to run scans to programmatically convert records for atlases from
Books to Maps, but do not have a date when this will happen.  We will not be
able to convert all atlas records by scan, but only those where there is an
element we can use to pull the records.  At this point, we are planning to
use 090/050 and '1 atlas' in field 300 and estimate that there are about
30,000 member records and 17,000 LC records which will be converted.  Other
records will have to be changed manually as they are found.  I will be glad
to report our plans once they are finalized.

Ellen
Ellen R. Caplan
OCLC, Inc.
Library Resources Management Division