From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:08:15 EST
2 messages......-----------------Johnnie

-----------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paige Andrew)
>Subject: Re: LC suject cutter for Public Saftey issues????

Sue,

Seems like I struggled with a similar situation for a map, possibly of the
University of South Carolina campus, a couple of years ago. I agree with you
that .E625 does not fit, and would suggest either .E55 for "public health"
since that implies public safety although it falls under "Medical geography"
in the subject cutters; or perhaps a little better because it is more
generic how about .E6 for "Social and cultural geography" even though its broad?

I think if it was the South Carolina map I did the main theme of the map was
either campus parking or bus transportation, but I distinctly remember that
the map also showed where emergency call boxes were located around the
campus and I did both an "Also shows" note and subject heading to bring out
that aspect.

David McQuillan, if you see this reply could you possible help?

Paige

>Hi All-
>   Can someone tell me where one is suppose to put fire and police
>related issues that are not necessarily tied to SOCIAL Problems .E625,
>but address more positive subjects, ie. response times, call box
>locations, safe ride areas etc. that are more preventative??  Any help
>will be appreciated.
>      Sue Trevitt-Clark
>      Map & Aerial Photography Library
>      University of Oregon

>Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:31:34 -0500 (EST)
>From: william j thornton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: LC suject cutter for Public Saftey issues????

The only map I find in our collections that fits this is one showing
 local police headquarters, county sheriff substations,
county sheriff headquarters and jail, state police posts and patrol
areas, Milan federal penal institution, women's state penal institution,
fire stations and service areas for Washtenaw County.  The subject
cutter used is .F85.  Good question, I am interested in other answers.