From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:09:20 EDT
2 messages.-----------------------------------Johnnie

>Date:   Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:22:59 -1000
>From:   Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Storing Wall Maps

Greetings,
I would also be interested in hearing how other libraries store
their wall maps.  Please cc to me or respond on Maps-L.

We currently have about 100 wall maps stored on vertical racks.
The wooden frame racks are free-standing, about 4 feet tall by
4 feet wide by 2 feet deep and take up a bit of valuable floor
space.  Each rack has a line of "pegs" on each side that sticks
out from the rack. The rolled wall map sits horizontally on these
pegs.  There are room to store 10 maps on each rack - more when
we double up smaller maps.

The maps are arranged in call number order and a 3x5 card is
attached (with string) to one end of each map.  Written boldly on
the card is the call number, map title, and date to aid in the
retrieval of a particular map.

I'm tempted at times to place the racks on top of our map cases
to save on valuable floor space, but we would then need a fairly
tall ladder to retrieve the wall maps (I don't do well on ladders).
And I can imagine with my luck that an earthquake will strike just
as I am walking below them.  d:)

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection     mmmm...spam-loco-moco

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Jerome Conley wrote:

> Dear Map Librarians:
>
> I am posting this message on behalf of our Geography Department.  The
> Geography Chairman would like to know how other institutions are storing
> large wall maps.  Currently, the department isn't using these maps as much
> and they would like to store them in a more efficient way.  The problem is
> that some of these maps are ten feet tall.
>
> Please send any responses to me directly.
>
> Jerome UpChurch Conley

>Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:08:47 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Lundquist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Storing Wall Maps

Gun racks.  The storage of rolled wall maps can be very problematical.
When we moved from our previous, extremely crowded, multi-locational
arrangement, we discovered that while our previous ceilings were 10+ feet
allowing our rolled maps to be stored upright, the new ceilings were 8
feet.   After some agonizing and drawing up wildly impractical ways of
dealing with it, my assistant looked at the situation and said, 'gun
racks'.   If you have the wall space, they work very well.  You can get
2 rolled wall maps/hook set so that a 4 hook gun rack, mounted along a
wall can hold up to 8 maps.  Our shorter wall maps we still store vertically
in the original blueprint holders and we store the long ones on the wall.
Gun racks.  Wish I'd thought of it.  I had some real interesting
conversations calling around to the various sporting goods stores,
identifying myself as being from the University Library and requesting a
bid on 20 gun racks.  If you have wall space they work very well.  I
don't know how conservation-friendly the coating might be but the maps
don't spend a whole lot of time on them in our library and also knowing
how people who have guns feel about them, I would suspect that there
probably isn't anything in the coating too destructive.  But that's just
my opinion.  I could be wrong.

David Lundquist
Map Librarian
Shields Library