From:
Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 16:32:33 EST
Francis,

No argument meant, just some thoughts to discuss.

I think we are on the brink of another step in the development of
collections that tradionally collected maps and the like.

Up till now we are used to collecting objects in whatever form.
They were the interpretation of the producer, who selected just
whatever data he needed to represent a viewpoint. (Just repeating
what Andrew Tatham has voiced before). And we enjoy those
objects, their feel, their smell, their visual lust for the eyes
and the brain. Sometimes we go so far as to disfranchise the
objects from their underlying functions (again Zen for Chris!).
As long as we digitize objects we still can -though remotely-
enjoy the flavours of the original.

But in this modern world there are less objects and more data in
our field of practise. And in this view we cannot talk any more
of mapcollections, as the maps are only possible virtual objects
which have to be created through the data one preserves. And then
there are suddenly spatial data collections and these not only
contain mapping data but also statistical sources. But such a
collection pur sang has no function. As the data themselve cannot
be viewed in a systematic or analytical way we have to perform
certain functions to agregate them into an object which is
legible for a user. But to perform such a function I need more
than a simple viewer. (I can get the Topographic maps of The
Netherlands 1:25.000 on CD-ROM but with only a viewer at hand I
can do less than with the analogue map). So I need a more or less
sophisticated GIS to deliver the services a user might expect
from a provider like my library.

But we do not have GIS programmes, because primary investments in
data and programmes is not provided for (yet). But the most
important hindrance is that I nor one of my colleagues have the
knowledge to use these configurations.

The problem for traditional map collection not within an
university environment is that they have to look for a balance
between traditional functioning and minimal investments to
perform new tasks. But there will come a time sooner or later
that we will be a hybrid of a traditional mapcollection and a
spatial data collection. And as certain crafts die because their
knowledge is hardly needed anymore, certain knowledge concerning
traditional materials will be hard to come by in future. To be
able to function we either have to specialize for a certain class
of users (in the hope that they become not extinct) or replace
some of our traditional crafts with digital crafts.

As voiced on MapHist I hope that when I can work with the new
spatial data, producers and repositories of traditional materials
will digitize those maps which have descendants in the digital
age in such a way that researchers can use a continuum of data.
(E.g. basemaps of which the strip masks, peelcoats or
colour-seperated films are still available should be digitized in
layers in order that they can be linked with the new layered
digital maps. See
>http://www.konbib.nl/kb/skd/liber/articles/1hurni.htm<)

I hope map collections also will cooperate in national or
supra-national clearinghouses for digital spatial data as we may
be able to borrow a lot of the experiences of producers and users
of these data, in order to use them ourselves and preserve them
for future use.

I think I'll come back to this topic again this year as it is
high on my agenda.

Jan Smits
Map Curator Koninklijke Bibliotheek, The National Library of The
Netherlands
tel: +31 70 3140241
fax: +31 70 3140450
e-mail: [log in to unmask]