From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:26:35 EST
2 messages-----------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:31:24 -0700 (MST)
>From: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: map cases

Linda

> We have an incredible assortment of map cases and with our move will
> be able to spread them out, lower.  Problem:  I cannot find a dealer
> of the slightly larger size (c.55 1/4" wide) from whom to purchase
> more bases and lids.  I've tried Russ Bassett and Safco.  Who is
> handling Hamilton now?
I recently went through the process of acquiring map cases.  The big
distributors of library supplies only carry Russ Bassett and
Safco--neither of which I like.  I called Hamilton: "don't make them.
haven't for 10 years or so.  Call Mayline.  We sold them the line."  I
called Mayline:  "Nope, don't make them any more.  Stopped several years
ago."  Kathryn Womble suggested an art supply dealer in Washington.  I
called a few in the Denver area:  "How many Hamiliton map cases do you need?"

Weird.  Call large local art supply dealers.  They had better prices than
the library supply people.

hope this helps

--christopher jj thiry
map librarian
colorado school of mines

>Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:58:23 -0500 (EST)
>From: Eric Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Map Cases

Linda,

        When we rearranged our collection, we ran into a problem similar
to yours. We too have a wide assortment of cases collected over the years.
When we decided to stack them at a fifteen drawer maximum, like you, we
came up short on bases and tops.
        I rounded up catalogs for most map case suppliers but found that
some of the sizes that we have are no longer manufactured. We were out of
luck. So we had nice lids fabricated out of 1/2" A/C grade plywood and
painted them black. We have about five different colors of cases in our
collection, so black was an easier choice than trying to match each
individual color. The lids were cut with a dato strip to allow for the lip
on top of each case. Once flush with the case body, holes were drilled and
chicago screws were used to fasten the plywood lids in place. Perfect? No.
But certainly preferable to cases without lids of any kind...and most
certainly cheaper.
        I hope you're able to find just what you're looking for. But
failing that, plywood can do a nice job instead.

Good Luck!

Eric

Eric Schmidt
University of Tennessee
Cartographic Information Center                 [log in to unmask]
15 Hoskins Library
Knoxville, TN   37996-4006
(615) 974-4315