From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:57:52 EST
3 messages.--------------------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:11:58 -0500 (EST)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Cheryl Woods)
>Subject: shipping to Canada

to pay less and things take 3 weeks by parcel post than to pay top dollar
for shipping. In case some of you missed the first part of this story, I had
commented on a $25 shipping charge for a $15 poster we wanted to purchase
from NOAA. I think it is unfair and unreasonable.
Perhaps the parcel post system in the United States is poor in Russell's
opinion but I have been shipping portfolios and facsimile maps for the
Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives all over the world for
many years and always by parcel or surface mail. In the hundreds of
shipments, only once has something been lost. I find in all cases that the
client prefers to pay less even if it will take a bit longer. As monies are
cut back for acquisitions to libraries, I think that more and more parcel
and surface rates will be chosen in lieu of courier and airmail. Some
universities have excellent contracts with couriers and can receive mail at
a good savings in comparison to airmail or regular courier rates.
End of story is that, parcel/surface mail is fine with me.

Cheryl Woods

 Cheryl Woods
 Map Curator                                       tel: 519-661-3424
 SSC 1051                                          fax: 519-661-3750
 University of Western Ontario                     [log in to unmask]
 London, Canada  N6A 5C2

>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:09:49 -0500 (EST)
>From: Ian Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Lake Michigan poster/map

A number of Canadian Universities and Colleges have US Post Office Boxes
registered in their name. This helps lower costs of postage and helps to
ease our American colleagues when mailing items to a US Post Office Box
address instead of a Canadian location.

I am sure that Western has such an address and a mail system that picks up
this mail on a regular basis whether in Windsor or any closer American
city.

If not you should suggest it to your University administration. It is a
big money saver !

****************************
Ian Gordon
Brock University Library
****************************

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Customer Service wrote:

> A comment on the NOAA shipping charges to Canada.
>
> Yes, $25 seems very high.  I would assume the price includes some sort of
> extra handling fee.
>
> However, shipping to Canada is not as easy as one might expect.  As someone
> that ships to Canada regularly, we have found that:
>
> Parcel post shipping to Canada, while the cheapest, is unreliable - at least
> 1/2 of our shipments take over 3 weeks, many 4-5 weeks and a surprising
> percentage are "lost".  Also, we have double the damage claims with parcel
> post versus Fedex or UPS.  A 2-lb tube from North Carolina is about $7, plus
> about $5 in surcharges for registered mail, insurance, or return receipt
> requested, the only way to get a signature trace.
>
> UPS is more reliable and we have signature tracing,, but more expensive.
> UPS sometimes adds a "customs" surcharge, and there does not seem to be any
> rhyme or reason to when the surcharges are applied.  Many of our customers
> request no UPS shipping.  A 2-lb tube from North Carolina will be about $15 US.
>
> Fedex,  is the quickest, but most expensive way to go.  We can trace Fedex
> shipments in house through our computer, which is convenient.  A 2-lb Fedex
> tube from North Carolina would be about $19 US.
>
> I would appreciate comments from Canadians on their experiences/preferences
> in shipping from the US.
>
> Russell Guy
> Omni Resources
> At 04:11 PM 1/21/97 EST, you wrote:

Our University does not allow us to use UPS for shipments because of the
customs brokerage fee that they impose.  We have staff who handle customs
clearance when it's necessary.  Parcel post has been pretty good with only
occasional questions from Customs that can usually be dealt with over the
phone.  Most things have made it to us all right.  Federal Express or
Purolator do all right when speed is required.
     |      Alberta Auringer Wood, Maps, Data and Media Librarian      |
     |  Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, |
     |   CANADA  A1B 3Y1.   phone: 709-737-8892; fax: 709-737-2153;    |
     |                Internet: [log in to unmask]                |
     |  web pages:  http://www.mun.ca/library/maps                     |
     |              http://www.mun.ca/library/media                    |
     |              http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~awood                       |