From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katherine Holvoet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:54:03 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:31:32 -0400
From: Katherine Holvoet <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Map holders and storage
Sender: Katherine Holvoet <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all!
    I work in a lovely new library building, and find myself in an
interesting bind.  I would like to display some of our maps on the
walls, in part to help students learn about the different kinds of maps
that are available.  The director of our library is very concerned that
all items put on the walls be in frames, including any maps I wish to
display.
    I've looked in the Demco and Gaylord catalogs for anything that I
could think of to use as frames, but the problem as we all know is that
maps come in so many non-standard picture and poster sizes.
    My question is twofold, can someone present me with a list of map
product vendors (I'm the first official map librarian, and have no
experience in this field) and can anyone suggest products or solutions
they have found on how to nicely display maps and posters on their
walls?
    As well, I am trying to find a solution to storing oversized maps;
the kind that just won't fit into a reasonably sized map drawer.  We
have a few of the molded plastic relief maps that sort of lay around the
map alcove.  I've thought of putting up a piece (nicely framed of
course) of pegboard on one of the walls and using the holes to hold
hooks, so that I could hang the maps one on top of each other, sort of
like how you see some rug outlets storing rugs for sale.  If anyone has
come up with a nifty product or solution, I'd be happy to hear about it.

    Thanks for your help!
--
Katherine Holvoet
Urban, Local, Regional Documents Librarian

--- End Forwarded Message ---