From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:05:51 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:50:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: indexing digital geographid data (was: NTIS and the rebellion)
    (fwd)

information:

I have often wondered, as a cataloger using MARC format, why there are no
searches available using the EXISTING geographical and temporal
information every cataloger inserts into every record created.  In records
for cartographic materials (format e), we use field 52, based upon the LC
G schedule for maps, and field 043 using MARC codes for continent or
region and country.  For mongraphic materials (format m) field 043 is used
when applicable, too.  I am unaware of any current catalogs that search on
either of those fields.

Where maps specify such information, field 034, cartographic mathematical
data, allows not only for scale to be indicated, but longitudinal and
latitudinal coordinates.

Field 045, time period of content, is available, too, and I have seen that
one used for historical maps, that is, maps covering a period of time
earlier than the date of production of the map.  It can also be used with
maps produced in earlier times for the period they cover.  Further, it is
available for other materials than cartographic.

Again, we catalogers spend considerable time putting in this information,
and verifying it with map in hand when using existing records.  To no end,
because we (catalogers) are the only users of that information!  I don't
suggest that we suspend use, it's too valuable.  Instead I ask, why are we
not making it searchable?

If the information is searchable, these fields could be assigned where
applicable in other types of information. The NTIS documents were
cataloged using another standard than MARC, but based on some similar
principles, called COSATI (I cannot recall what that acronym stands for).
Geographic information could be coded in those records.

Web interface search engines, which I seem to have a professional allergy
to, are based not on encoded descriptions, but instead are from the text
of the item itself.  There are catalogers, including colleagues at my
institution, who are cataloging web sites that libraries have identified
in their web pages.  They become searchable in the same way our books,
government documents, journal titles, media materials and maps are. That,
it seems to me, is useful.  Again, the geographic and temporal information
available already could be used when applicable for these records, and
ultimately be searchable.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA