From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:45:38 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:41:27 -0700
From: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Road maps and Zoning maps
Sender: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>

Hi-- we're just beginning to look at catalog maintenance around the issue of
changes in road map & zoning map subject headings.  I thought I'd share this
nicely written summary from our Principal Cataloger, Adam Schiff, in case
it's of use to others out there in map cataloging land.  Kathryn

"In June, the subject headings Road maps and Zoning maps ceased to be valid
LCSH terms. The replacements for these are Roads|vMaps and Zoning|vMaps.
Road maps and Zoning maps are no longer valid as form subdivisions either.
Instead of |xRoad maps or |xZoning maps (or |vRoad maps or |vZoning maps),
the correct form of a subject heading should be Roads|z[geographic
place]|vMaps or Zoning|z[geographic place]|vMaps.

All of our records that have |vRoad maps or |xRoad maps or |vZoning maps
or |xZoning maps need to be corrected to the approved form.  This will
have to be done very carefully, because the change involves changing a
field from 651 to 650 and often means that the geographic term must be
rearranged into two |z fields with elements rearranged.  Staff cannot
simply add Roads or Zoning in front of the geographic term and change Road
maps or Zoning maps to Maps except for simple cases. For example:

651  0  Washington (State)|xRoad maps
  becomes
650  0  Roads|zWashington (State)|vMaps

651  0  Australia|vRoad maps
  becomes
650  0  Roads|zAustralia|vMaps

BUT:

651  0  Alameda County (Calif.)|xRoad maps
  becomes
650  0  Roads|zCalifornia|zAlameda County|vMaps

651  0  Alicante (Spain : Province)|xRoad maps
  becomes
650  0  Roads|zSpain|zAlicante (Province)|vMaps

651  0  Bellevue (Wash.)|xZoning maps
  becomes
650  0  Zoning|zWashington (State)|zBellevue|vMaps"

Kathryn Womble
Map Collection
Box 352900
University of Washington Libraries