From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rea Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:22:33 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:24:45 -0400
From: Rea Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: USGS thematic map confusion <fwd>
Sender: Rea Mueller <[log in to unmask]>

The map numbers and titles listed in Chris's question below are correct.  I-2588,
"Sidescan sonar image, surficial geologic interpretation, and bathymetry of the
Long Island Sound sea floor off Haammonasset Beach State Park Connecticut" was
published in 1997.  This year the map titled "Geologic map of the western Ophir
Planum region of Mars" was published using the same number.  To correct the error
without a costly reprint, this map was renumbered I-2588-M (for Mars) by hand.
I -2588 is not intended to be a series with additional maps published as
I-2588-A, etc.