From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:47:49 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:37:42 -0500
From: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Advice for Seattle Public Libary Map Collection
Sender: Mary Douglass <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, folks!  In part of my role as a reference libarian (about 1/8 time)
at the Seattle Public Library, I function as the "Map Maven".  Our
circumstances here are not unusual - I "inherited" the map collection as
only a part of my duties, and the collection has not been well tended
since the library reduced its staffing (at one time there was a
full-time map librarian, and the collection had dedicated clerical
assistance.)

What I would like to do is make contact with other staff in large public
libraries who have responsibility for the map collection.  I have
several pieces of advice that I am seeking - primarily because Seattle
Public is entering a major capital building program, and we have the
wonderful opportunity to build and design a new central library (and new
and renovated branches).  I would like to step forth as the "advocate"
for some sort of Map Center in our new building - and I would really
like to have input from other systems.  We also have all sorts of issues
related to map aquisition and cataloging, as you can well imagine - so I
look forward to discussion on those aspects as well.

What I would like is for public library "map librarians" to respond to
me thru this listserv so that I can develop a core list of advisors.
Please include your phone number because I may start my advice-seeking
by phone.  Also, if you know of any other map librarians that I should
talk with who are not on this list, please pass their names on to me.

Of course, I will be happy to summarize the results of my learning about
maps in large public libraries for the greater MAPS-L group.

Thanks for listening.  I must say that I pay very close attention to the
posts on MAPS-L, but this is about the first time that I have jumped in!

Mary Douglass
Reference Libarian
Humanities Dept.   206-386-4633
Seattle Public Library