From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 14:28:27 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 14:51:12 -0600 (MDT)
From: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: vinland map expert <fwd>
Sender: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>

Mary,

> A local archaeologist who is working on an article for a professional
> journal that has something to do with the Vinland Map called late Friday
> afternoon. He asked me for a name/names of a
> cartographic historian familiar with the map whom he could get in touch
> with for information. He
> does not want anyone associated with Yale University or the Smithsonian. I
> don't belong to MapHist
> so I am turning to you all for help. If any of you fit the above
> description, or know someone who does
> who would like to talk with this fellow, please let me know and I will get
> you in touch with each other.

You should point him to Thomas Cahill, Professor of Physics and Head of
the Crocker Laboratory Historical and Archeological Project at the
University of California at Davis.  Cahill did much of the physical
research on the map and also wrote his conclusions in the most recent book
on the Vineland Map.

--Christopher JJ Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines