From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caplan,Ellen
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:12:35 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:53:34 -0400
From: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Correction to OCLC-MARC records affecting maps
Sender: "Caplan,Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>

I have one correction/clarification to the message I sent on May 18
concerning FORM.  I neglected to mention that where FORM is defined in
formats other than Maps and Visual materials, it is defined in fields 008/23
and 006/06 (Books, Serials, Scores and Sound Recordings).  In Maps and
Visual Materials, FORM is defined in fields 008/29 and 006/12.  For OCLC
users, the 008 and 006 positions will not matter on display, but for MARC
output or exported records the code for FORM will appear in the appropriate
008 and 006 positions.

Ellen Caplan
OCLC, Collections & Technical Services

Excerpt from previous message:
On May 9th Kathryn Womble listed the changes from the MARC Bibliographic
Update (Technical Bulletin 236) that will be of particular use to map
catalogers.  I have one more to add.  That is the new fixed-field and 006
element, FORM, for Form of item (008/29 and 006/12).  This element has been
available in several other formats for many years.  It was defined in the
1999 edition of MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data (formerly USMARC
Format for Bibliographic Data).  It should be used to code for microforms,
but more importantly, it should be used to code for electronic resources
(code 's').  See Technical Bulletin 236
(http://www.oclc.org/oclc/tb/tb236/index.htm).  In addition, we are in the
process of updating 'Cataloging Electronic Resources: OCLC-MARC Coding
Guidelines' at http://www.oclc.org/oclc/cataloging/type.htm.  This document
will indicate when code 's' in FORM should be used and when it should not be
used.

--- End Forwarded Message ---