From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 16:12:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:28:34 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Peters projection <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Hello, you wrote:
"    A reader here wants to use a scanned Peters projection world map on a
     web site and is concerned about copyright. I am trying to reach Peters
     or his reps to find out to whom to refer my reader. Seems to be some
     confusion as to who holds the copyright...is it this church publisher,
     or someone else, as in Arno Peters himself? or his agent?"

The Peters projection per se is not copyrighted. It is a Gall orthographic
projection which Peters publicized as his own and for which he made numerous
erroneous claims. There is a good discussion of this in Snyder's "Flattening
the Earth". The only relevant copyright is the copyright of the publisher who
actually printed the map. If it's really an issue, any generic map projection
can be reproduced with various basic mapping software tools.

-Frank Reed
HistoricalAtlas.net
Chicago, IL
--- End Forwarded Message ---