From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:25:05 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:54:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: DeLorme's "TOPO-USA" <fwd>
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

> --- Begin Forwarded Message ---
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:07:45 -0400
> From: Fred Schaff <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: DeLorme's "TOPO-USA"
> Sender: Fred Schaff <[log in to unmask]>

Fred, I cannot claim any familiarity with the CD-ROM version of De-Lorme's
topographic mapping of the US.  However, I have seen several of the
printed state atlases they publish.  I can say that for the traveler the
maps are fine.  For the professional who needs large scale and detailed
mapping of regions, DeLorme's maps are no substitute for the USGS maps
which it sounds as though you have already been collecting.

The price is good, and compares favorably to the pricing for the National
Geographic maps on CD-ROM.

The question goes back to what is on the disks and at what level of
detail.  The USGS publish a very large CD-ROM set of topographic images
covering the US at 1:100,000.  This set is huge, and while disks are
inexpensive, the 50-state coverage would be more than $100.  It may be
that I am comparing apples and oranges, especially as I have not seen the
set you bought.  BUt again, based onn what I have seen of DeLorme's
mapping, and based on what I know of other disks, I cannot recommend
DeLorme's for much other than travel uses and limited recreational
activity such as hiking, camping or fishing.  The level of detail, owing
to the small scale and limited contour interval (much greater than the
20-foot interval you describe), just will not reach the standards set by
the 7.5-minute series of the Geological Survey.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA

>         Now, the DeLorme TOPO-USA, version 2.0 has the entire
> 50-states on 6 CD-ROMs, (or one DVD-CD-ROM), for less than $100. I
> could hardly wait to get one and have been enjoying it immensely and
> am still learning what it can and can't do. However, overall, I'm very
> pleased.
>
>         It has already provided me with information relative to my
> theory that, one day, the Salton Sea in California will join with the
> Gulf of California and fill the basin of the Imperial Valley all the
> way up to Indio at I-10.
>
>         Question to the professionals on MAPS-L?? Has TOPO-USA been
> compared to the much more expensive but comprehensive GIS's available
> to those who can afford them for business purposes?  And, if so, are
> there any major errors or faults that have been found or is it very
> good value for the 20-foot contours which it contains??
>
> Fred Schaff, Spring Grove, PA, USA <[log in to unmask]>
>         LAWS OF DISCUSSION
> 1: In total agreement, there is no net communication possible.
> 2: In total disagreement, there is no net communication possible.
>         JOHN W. CAMPBELL
> --- End Forwarded Message ---

--- End Forwarded Message ---