From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:46:19 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:25:08 -0400
From: William A. Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: How do you correct erroneous KY maps? (fwd)

I'll try to respond to John Long's request about more information on the past / present maps and current state of road signs.   All the maps I am referring to, including the past maps, seem in every way similar to those maps produced at the Kentucky Department of Highways, such as the current ones that can be found at:

        http://ukcc.uky.edu/~maps/

The current map of Carroll is at:

        http://ukcc.uky.edu:8002/%7Emaps/carroll.gif

and displays what I think are incorrect labels.

I'm not 100% sure of the current sign situation, but it seemed to me the last time I passed the entrance to the western-most road, the sign was missing.   The eastern lane may have a sign, but I do not know what the sign says.  It sits back from the road a bit.  I will check next time I'm going that way.

I don't think I've ever been down the easternmost lane, but the one formerly known as Hampton's and now called Deweese only has one family living on it as far as I can tell.  This road formerly went up through the hills but that part is now a very poor road.  But with a lot of development coming in some of the counties old roads are being reopened and paved and I believe eventually this one will be as well.

I also have a USGS 7.5 Topographical Map,  MADISON EAST KY - IND, dated 1971, which gives what I think is the erroneous label of "Deweese Road" to what was once labeled Hampton Lane, and  "Hampton Lane" to the road which was once Hunter Heights.

I don't have any of the older Highway maps on hand, but the ones I reviewed recently at a friends were from the 1950's and perhaps early 1960's.

Bill Davis                                                             [log in to unmask]
  * * * Fax  (978)334-7850  *  P.O. Box 337 * Ghent * KY * 41045  * * *