From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:55:45 -0400
Subject: Open vs. closed map and air photo collections
   Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:33:14 -0500
   From: "Harry O. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues:

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale has a centralized library
(Morris Library) with no branches.  The map and aerial photography
collections (Map Library) are within the main library in an area open at
all times the library is open (but not staffed at all times). The staff
consists of myself and a paraprofessional plus student assistants and we
are generally available Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.

We have had more map and air photo loss and theft problems from open
cases and files than seems tolerable.  Consequently, we have been trying
for sometime to move more material to lockable cases and files, but the
percentage of the collection so secured remains relatively small.  There
is also some difficulty with patrons refiling maps wrongly and damaging
maps because of our very crowded drawers.

Planning is now ensuing for a small addition to Morris Library and
extensive renovation of the existing building.  In the process the Map
Library will be relocated and given somewhat more space.  Unlike now,
the Map library is to be on the same floor as the documents collection
and the GIS service unit and patrons are to obtain assistance from a
common service point.

I have argued for the map and air photo collections to be secure in a
lockable zone (room) rather than staying in an unrestricted (and
sometimes unmonitored) area (where we would then just want/need more
lockable cases).  Architecturally this could still allow provision for a
shared service point outside the locked zone.

The library administration is arguing for  total openness (save for
office and workroom space and a small office collection).  I have hoped
that the renovation would help us move to greater collection security
and better maintenance.

I have a meeting with the architects on Tuesday, April 22, at 11 am
cst.  I would like to have pro and con positions from you out there
before the meeting, sent either to MAPS-L or directly to me.

I should add that our collection has about 335,000 items (250,000 maps
and 85,000 air photos).  We are an ARL library and I am most wanting to
hear from other ARL libraries with similar size collections, but I will
be glad to hear from anyone with thoughts on this topic.

Thanks!

Harry Davis

 Harry O. Davis                       <> Phone:    618-453-2705Map
Librarian  <> FAX:      618-453-2704Morris Library / MS 6632Southern
Illinois University         <> Internet: [log in to unmask],
Illinois 62901