From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:25:07 EST
At 14:43 31/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Alice,
>It might be the Goad Company, which started in Canada and moved to
>England.  They did some plans for France, I believe they are still in the
>business.  I don't know if they are still mapping in France.  I don't
>have the current address, but I am sure Tony Campbell would.
>Good luck,
>        Fran

[On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Alice Hudson wrote asking about "Sanbourn" maps]

I have a slightly elderly copy of the Goad catalogue in front of me as I
type this. There is no mention of the Sanbourn maps, though it does have
a lot of info about how the Goad maps came into being, etc.

Yes, they (Goad) are still on the go - they do digital as well as hardcopy
maps these days, and can supply dye-line copies of their earlier editions.
They cover shopping centres not only in the UK but also several other
European countries (Netherlands, France, Belgium, Luxumbourg, Spain and
Ireland) as well. These maps are at the 1:1000 and 1:1250 scales, so
give wonderful detail. And, since they  are updated at least once every two
years, getting successive editions can give valuable time-series profiles
of changing functions, etc. in the city centres.

I have no connection whatsoever with Goad, but as you may tell, I am quite
a fan of the maps they produce. As a teaching and research resource, they
are unique and invaluable.

Unless they have moved in the past 3 years, Goad's address is

*       Chas. Goad Ltd., 8 - 12 Salisbury Square, Old Hatfield,
        Hertfordshire AL9 5BJ, England.

Phone (+44) 707 271 171; fax: (+44) 707 274 641.
No Internet connections that I am aware of....

I know it is probably not helping you in your search Alice, but it may
be of interest nonetheless :-)

Cheers

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Internet: [log in to unmask]          WWW: http://www.ucc.ie:80/ucc.depts/geography
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....