From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:33:04 -0500
Subject:        RE: iPad map ap suggestions?
Date:   Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:16:17 -0500
From:   McInroy, Mary R <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

Probably not for your iPads, but this is a great illustration of the
sorts of information that can be mapped and "apped." One of the
developers is from our School of Library and Information Science.
"Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature"
_http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-iowa-city-unesco-city/id396516495?mt=8%3E_
or look in iTunes
This free app from the University of Iowa just got approved by Apple.
It's a beginning version of an app. to celebrate our USESCO City of
Literature Status, and UI will keep building on this, adding more and
more content.
It includes a mapping component, which eventually will be a fairly
complete literary map of Iowa City:
"Visitors can guide themselves around town in literary style. The app
offers maps of Iowa City, with embedded electronic 'brass plaques,'
indicating a variety of unique locations: where historic readings took
place, where authors wrote, and the legendary taverns where writers
gathered to argue and gossip."
Not sure if people can add their own annotations to the map (e.g, Dave's
Fox Head, where <everybody> drank...)
Mary McInroy
Reference & Library Instruction/ Map Collection
University of Iowa Libraries Iowa City, IA 52242-1420
(319)335-6247
FAX: (319)335-5900
e-mail: [log in to unmask]