From:
Judith Scurfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:26:15 EST
Dear Map Listers (in particular any who are also
classical music buffs),

Yesterday morning,our classical music "listeners'
requests" programme broadcast a piece of music
called "Mass on a Mappa Mundi" by a Spanish
composer of the 15th. century called Juan Cornado.
Groves' Dictionary of Music reveals that this
gentleman worked at the Court of Naples c. 1455-
1485, and that the work was commissioned by
Fernando of Naples in either 1465-70 or about
1480, presumably at the same time as or a little
after the date of the map.  Any ideas as to which
Mappa Mundi was being celebrated? (if you think
it matters, or would like the challenge.....?)
It's summer here , and you in the Northern Hemi-
sphere usually issue a challenge linking maps to
some of form of information/entertainment during
your summer holidays, so now we are doing it!

Judith Scurfield

Judith Scurfield,
Map Librarian,
State Library of Victoria,