From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven R Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:07:09 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 07:58:20 -0600
>From: Steven R Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Humor needed (fwd)

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:29:29 +1000
>From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Humor needed (fwd)
>

>>I remember a story (it may have been from Lewis Carroll, the author of
>>Alice in Wonderland) who wrote about a place that had a superb map of the
>>countryside.  Unlike ordinary maps, which usually are one inch=one mile
>>(or some other scale), this one had a scale of 1:1 (that's right...one
>>inch=one inch).  However, they couldn't use the map very often, because
>>the farmers complained that it blocked out the sun.
>>
>This was either Carroll, or Oscar wilde. I would like to know the exact
>reference if anyone knows. It isn't in 'Alice' itself anyway.
>If memory serves, it was a Brit and a German talking about which country
>had the better maps. The Brit said they'd mapped the UK at an inch to a
>mile, and the German said they'd done 4 inches to a mile. The Brit replied
>they'd nearly finished 10 inches to the mile, and the german smiled, saying
>they had a 1:1 map of all of germany. The Brit asked if they'd ever laid it
>out, but the german said the farmers protested to much.
>Something like that anyway.
>
>Brendan Whyte

Brendan

I believe the refernece is from The Little Pince. He made a 1:1 map of his
little planet. There may be another reference but I seem to remember
reading it there. I often use it in my classes! He was always making fun of
geographers.

Steven Holloway

Oikos Work Arts                         [log in to unmask]
        The Studio                      406 728.9546
        232 South 6th Street East       Missoula, MT 59801

The University of Montana               [log in to unmask]
        Geography                       406 243.4302
        The University of Montana       Missoula, MT 59812

--- End Forwarded Message ---