From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:11:58 -0400
Maps-L Folk:
    We recently had a geology professor in the Map Room asking for a
geologic map of Mt Etna.  We said sure, and then found to our great
surprise that we did not have anything detailed in the files.  I could
swear I had picked up a sheet about 15 years ago.  But no trace, oh
well.
     The professor also tried to buy one through Omni Resources.
Russell Guy had none and checked with the Italian Geological Survey.
He told the professor a 1:50,000 geological map was done in 1979 by the
University in Catania, but it was out of print.
     When I did a search for a detailed Mt Etna geologic map
the best I found was a listing in GeoKatalog for:  Carta geologica del
Monte Etna / Geological Map of Mt. Etna 1:50,000. Catania, 1979.(Listed
as out-of-print.)
    I have checked several of the Map Collections in this region of
the U.S., but none had the map.  Does someone else in the U.S. have
this map, or one as good or better, that could be loaned to the
University of Georgia Map Collection?  If you do let me know by e-mail
and I will get in-touch with you to set up the loan.

Thanks,

Johnnie Sutherland
Curator of Maps
Map Collection