From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:27:36 -0400
Subject: scale statement in cataloging maps
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:13:04 -0500
From: Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Can we have a group conversation about the cataloging record and scale
statements?

When a map is not drawn to scale, for example, a pictorial map, the 255
field says "Scale not given." and then a 500 note can quote a statement
on the map or simply say "Map not drawn to scale."

Is that correct?

And, saying in the 255 field "Map not drawn to scale" is not correct.

Is that correct??

Also, do we in the US say "Scales differ" or do we only say "Scales vary?"

I just find that what the book says, what experts advice is and what
practicing catalogers use all vary (or is it differ) from one another a
bit. I just want to wrap my tired mind around the correct usage and fly
with it.

Thanks for your help.

Angie

ANGELA R. COPE, Academic Map Librarian