From:
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 1994 14:07:55 EST
4 messages on PAIGH and indexing.----------Johnnie

              4 Mar 94 10:42:20 CST
              Re: PAIGH Americas

>-----------Maps-L question being answered------------------
> Greetings.
> We're seeking advice from other map libraries about indexing the PAIGH
> Americas 1:250,000 series.  Our index is dated 1978; there seems to be some
> discrepancy of sheet numbering along the coasts; and the index is so small!
> What are other libraries using?
> Thanks.
>
> New York Public Library
> Map Div. (NAK)

Nancy,

The Paigh Americas 1:250,000 series is in GEODEX and the file is available
from our FTP site.  The file is F0154.ZIP and the ftp address is
CONVEX.CSD.UWM.EDU.  To get to the directory, enter cd ~ftp/pub/geodex.
Switch to the binary mode for transfer.

Chris Baruth
AGS Collection

              Fri, 04 Mar 94 09:53:36 CST
              Jim coombs <JAC324F@SMSVMA>
              Re: PAIGH Americas

We separated the PAIGH maps into country sets, and use page-size CIA maps as
indexes.  We drew the sheet grid on to index map.  Oh, and we used extra copies
 or photocopies of the CIA maps.

Jim Coombs
Southwest Missouri State Univ. (where its 72 sunny degrees today)

-------------------------------------

      Fri, 4 Mar 94 14:06:14 EST
         PAIGH Americas

MiU has the same index.  By the way, has anyone received sheets NC 16-3 or 4?

      Fri, 4 Mar 94 9:29:46 HST
      Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: PAIGH Americas

Greetings from the Spam (consumption) capital of the world,

I've noticed the indexing problem, too on the PAIGH series.  If the DMA/PAIGH
folks can not provide an updated index (I haven't tried asking for one), you
might want to copy the individual country's indices that appear in the
GEOKatalog, or World Mapping Today.  We sometimes use our Map-O-Graph machine
(does anyone else have one of these beasts?) to hand-make sheet indices for
various map series if one does not exist.  It beats crossing your eyes.

You still might have to "fine tune" the index, though.  For example, I have a
sheet NA 17-14 of Ecuador that doesn't exist on the GEOKatalog index.  Still,
the rest of the country seems to follow.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library Map Collection      oooooohhhmmmmmm...spam.