Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:18:27 -0600
Subject:        Re: Rumsey collection coming to Stanford
Date:   Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:30:07 -0500
From:   Marcel Fortin <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

What is exciting  is the thought and attention given to the archiving
and preservation of the digital images as well as the paper collection.
There's a great quote from David Rumsey:

"Stanford is a pioneer in the digital library world," said Rumsey. "When
I was thinking of who to give my collection to, I wanted to ensure the
preservation not only of the original materials but also the digital
copies I made. I knew Stanford would be the best place for them."

and then the article continues with:

"Rumsey hopes to encourage other donors to give their original pieces
along with digital copies at the same time."

Marcel Fortin
GIS and Map Librarian
University of Toronto Libraries