From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:03:14 -0400
Subject: Colors on Maps]
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:20:28 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Generally speaking colors are assigned to countries or states (on US maps)
more or less randomly on reference maps.  Thematic maps, on the other hand,
will often choose colors quite carefully, in order to get a point across.
An example would be an Allied map of Europe during WWII, which might show
the Axis nations in a bold, threatening color, while Allied territory might
be in a calm, comforting color.  Of course, choosing colors that are
threatening or comforting is highly sensitive to cultural norms, and so
would change depending on who the map maker is or who the intended users of
the maps are.  Another interesting example is maps of the British Empire,
which often used red for Britain and all it's colonies around the world,
though I'm not sure of the reasons for that choice.

        --Andrew McIntire
          Cartographer
          US Census Bureau