From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:21:00 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:37:33 -0700
From: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Western Association of Map Libraries meeting, March 21-23,
2002, UCalif, Santa Barbara
Sender: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>

Here is the first announcement for the spring meeting of the
Western Association of Map Libraries (WAML) in Santa Barbara,
  March 21-23, 2002, Davidson Library, University of California, Santa Barbara.

You need not be a member of WAML to attend.
We haven't figured out the registration costs yet
but probably it will be around $30.

We'll be setting up a Webpage within the next
month or so, and I'll announce the URL here.

I realize this is the same time as the meeting of
the Association of American Geographers; I had to
select a time at the end of spring quarter here,
in order that persons attending would be able
to find a place to park :-)

Theme: DIGITAL EARTH, PAPER EARTH

Meetings are in 8th floor conference room, Davidson Library, unless
otherwise noted.

Here is the tentative schedule; at this point, almost everything is subject
to at least slight change:-)

Wednesday, March 20
6pm Early-bird dinner (no-host) - probably The Beachside (near UCSB)

        Thursday, March 21
  8:45-11:45am WAML Executive Board meeting (SEL Conference Room)
10am-noon "Map Cataloging Rule Changes in Summer 2002, An Overview"
Mary Larsgaard

1:30-1:45pm Welcome

1:45-2:30pm "Shuttle Radar Topography Mission: The World Mapped in 3-D"
Dr. Robert Crippen, Jet Propulsion Lab

2:30-3pm "Concept Maps - Geographic Information Visualization"
  tentative - speaker from Geography Department, UCSB

3-3:30pm break; exhibits

3:30-4:15pm "Santa Barbara Coast from a Digital Point of View"
tentative - speaker from Geography Department, UCSB

4:15-4:30pm Close; directions on getting to reception

4:30-5pm in transit to Map Link

5-6pm Map Link reception
BRING AN EMPTY SUITCASE!! MapLink has lots of duplicates
(city and country folded maps) that they'd love to get rid of ...

        Friday, March 22, 2001

8:45-9 Welcome and announcements

9-noon Growing Your Own Digital Library
  Air photos: Beth Filar, Map Library, U of Colorado, Boulder
  Air photos: Greg Hajic and Carolyn Jones, MIL, U California SB
  Maps: Katie Frohmberg, Earth Sciences and Map Library, U California Berkeley
  Maps: Scott Martin, Library, U California Los Angeles

Break somewhere about 10:15-10:45

noon-1:30pm lunch on your own

1:30-2:30pm "Computer Recognition of Patterns in Aerial Photographs"
- tentative; speaker from Electrical and Computing Engineering Dept, UCSB

2:30-3:00pm break

3:45- 5pm Business meeting and Sounding Board

5:30-8pm or thereabouts  Banquet, UCSB Faculty Club

        Saturday, March 23, 2002

  9am-4pm Tour of Santa Barbara Wine Country
--- End Forwarded Message ---