From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:57:15 -0500
Subject:        3-d ultimate world polis Paris in 3-D
Date:   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:32:03 +0200
From:   MARZIO VENEMAN <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

Dear subscribers MAP-L,

http://paris.3ds.com/en-index.html#Heritage

Travel Through 2,000 Years of Paris’ History With Interactive 3D Model
October 5, 2012 by Zoe Fox

If you’re a fan of time travel, exploring cities, history or virtual
reality experiences, you’re going to love the latest project from
Dassault Systèmes. With the help of historians and archeologists,
Dassault has created Paris 3d, an interactive model that transports any
Internet user through two millennia of the city’s history.
See how the French capital developed since its Roman conquest in 52 BC
until the present day. Witness the construction of the Bastille and
Notre Dame, navigate through winding stone streets in the middle ages
and visit the 1889 World’s Fair to see the revelation of the Eiffel Tower.
“This is the first time we have a digital model of Paris, and this
virtual model is a big advantage over what we’d had in the past,” says
Mehdi Tayoubi, VP of design and experimental strategy at Dassault
Systèmes, told Mashable. “It can be adapted as archeologists make new
discoveries. It’s a kind of living world; we’re going to add other
monuments, make other representations.”
Users can take guided tours from the Paris 3D web browser or on the
corresponding iPad app.The experience was revealed Saturday night in
Paris as part of a giant virtual reality show, featuring nine screens
with different clips of the city during various periods. Some 15,000
Parisians attended the launch.
“We demonstrated that virtual reality is a real tool for research,
education and cultural exploration for the general public,” Mehdi says.
Most of the documents used to model for Paris 3D were 2D drawings or
black and white photograpgs, so the archeologists needed to do some
guess work.
Before creating Paris 3D, which the Dassault team spent two years
building, the created Giza 3D, released in May.
“The Paris 3D project is logical continuation of the Giza 3D project,”
Mehdi says. “It was a great opportunity for us as a French company to
collaborate, lead a scientific project and see Paris in the past like
never before.”
Mehdi says Dassault now receives requests from several cities to create
virtual reality versions of their histories, to be used in documentary
movies, set up in museums and to add a new dimension to mobile apps.
Using the project’s archeological findings, Dassault has also released
an augmented reality book and documentary, both called Paris: The Great
Saga. The book lets readers — when wearing enclosed stereoscopic glasses
— discover aerial views and the insides of monuments. The Paris City
Council and the Carnavelet Museum, dedicated to the city’s history,
helped create the documentary.
Is virtual reality is a good way to teach history? Let us know what you
think of Paris 3D in the comments.
–
SEE ALSO: Visit the Pyramids of Giza With This Interactive 3D Site

*Click here to visit my transcultural  professional profile and connect!*

MUSEUM PACT FRONT PAGE: <http://www.innl.nl/person/26903>
The profile includes the list of Collective Awareness Platforms for
Sustainability and Social Innovation (CAPS), incl. LinkedIn, please
visit Wikipedia for life-long learning via Open Educational Practise (OEP)

This email message may contain privilliged information and is solely
intended for the recipient(s) mentioned above.  To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add max.rythmos [at] gmail_com to your address
book or safe list.