From:
"Edward M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward M. Taylor
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 16:38:21 EST
Our systems internally process east longitude and north latitude as
postive numbers, while south and west are negative numbers.  Conventional
hemisphere designations are generated for display to the human user.

A GIS viewer like ArcView expects to see coordinates in this +/- convention
when importing data.

This convention appears to be based on the standard cartesian coordinate
system.

Ed Taylor
GEOname Products, GDE Systems, Inc.,
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com