From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:00:22 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Map/GIS librarian = extremely underpaid group?
Date:   Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:49:04 -0800 (AKDT)
From:   John D Kawula <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I realize this is a controversial subject. However I feel that on the
whole librarians are adequately compensated (at least as far as salary). I
am also uncomfortable with the notion that librarians are underpaid
because the field is female dominated.

I feel that these issues are more reasonable viewed in relationship to
economic supply and demand in a technologically oriented society. About 14
years ago I submitted a manuscript to Library Journal where I tried to
explore this. They rejected the manuscript saying it was not supported
by enough empirical research. I think they were probably right in
rejecting the manuscript, but there really wasn't much empirical research
making a serious attempt at measuring supply/demand relationships for
information services and librarians labor.

One author had written three economic articles attempting to measure the
demand for information services in a limited
hospital setting. I telephoned the author to make sure I understood those
articles correctly (which I did).

These studies suggested the demand curve for library services tends to be
rather elastic (ie not much slope). This implies that large increases in
demand or large decreases in supply would be necessary to significantly
increase prices (or salaries).

Most attempts to increase librarians salaries by increasing demand have
not worked. (Has engaging in more outreach services increased your
salary?) Thus decreasing the supply of library services (for example by
limiting hours and specialized services or by closing more library
schools
to deliberately reduce the number of librarians) is probably a more
effective method. But of course this is ethically questionable, especially
for a service oriented profession that encourages cheap and widely
available products and services.

Thus the issue is rather paradoxical.

Regarding the GIS/Librarian dichotomy: I have wondered for a long time if
they wanted GIS technicians who knew a little about libraries, or
librarians who did a little GIS on the side. This is made more murky
because often times the true focus is on publishing articles and doing
freshman oriented instruction.(As it is in my present job). My guess is
they ask for all of these
things simply because they can in an economic environment that asks for
ever increasing credentials even if they aren't needed or used; also of
course because a lot of librarians do have extensive GIS training and
experience - establishing that there is supply to meet that demand even
if that demand appears somewhat artifically driven and unjustified. My
feeling
is if they want a GIS technician, they should not ask for an MLS, if they
want a librarian, they should be willing to compromise on some of the
technical knowledge. But in any case, it circles back to economic supply
and demand in the current social context which is a much more powerful
force than most librarians are willing to acknowledge.

John Kawula
Government Documents and Maps Librarian
University of Alaska Fairbanks