From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:03:18 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: USGS Outsources
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005
From: Liz Paulus <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I heard about this last week at the Council of Geographic Names
Authorities (COGNA) conference in Portland -- it's really upsetting. I
talked with career cartographers like the one mentioned in the article
who will not be finding jobs anywhere soon, and the loss of
institutional memory and expertise is alarming.

Liz Paulus
Librarian
Portland, Oregon