Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:42:23 -0600
Subject:        RE: Re: Free, open source map publishing tool - gdal2tiles
Date:   Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:40:56 -0000
From:   Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Nicholas,

Thank you for this information about Manifold GIS, which looks very
good, low-budget software  - and is interesting to read about.

Part of my reason for posting information about gdal2tiles is that it is
completely free, open-source, and non-commercial, but I take your point
that Manifold offers a relatively cheap, commercial alternative (that
can do much else besides).

One thing worth stressing too is that the use by gdal2tiles of the Tile
Map Service specification
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Tile_Map_Service_Specification) allows
a SuperOverlay to be formed, and not just the KML for a single raster
image. This is crucial for displaying good zoomable images, whether in
Google Earth or another application.

I completely understand your point that public institutions should be
wary of offering their images / mashups through Google Earth, etc. or
commercial providers, and certainly that public money should not be
wasted. I wanted to stress that the Google Earth kmz file I mentioned
was illustrative, and is not a live application. All the other uses of
gdal2tiles we have here as applications (that I provided URLs to) use
Openlayers as test applications and do not use Google imagery - there is
no requirement to use Google Earth or maps with the output. One of the
main benefits, at least in theory, of open source software such as
gdal2tiles is that hopefully it uses less public money in allowing the
creation of accessible imagery / maps through free, non-proprietary
applications.

Chris