Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 10:30:36 EST

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I have recently obtained a copy of an interesting altas which some
sci.astro readers may find interesting.  It is a russian atlas of the
terrestrial planets and their satellites:

Atlas Planet Zemnoi Gruppa i ix sputnikov

(Atlas of the Earth Group Planets and their Satellites)

It contains maps of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars and Phobos
(Deimos is covered only in a historical section).
My copy is in russian, but an english language copy is being made
available as well.  The maps are in several sets - relief, contours,
geology, gravity, and there is a particularly useful section on
existing maps of these bodies - a 'cartobibliography' which is the only
one I've ever seen for Soviet/Russian maps.  As a library reference it
is very interesting and useful.  The maps (except for Phobos) are not very
detailed, but the different perspective is nice to have.

This book is a bit of a collector's item, too - very few are being
produced. I am afraid I have no price information at all on it.

If anybody is interested in this, they should contact Prof. K.B.
Shingareva at the Moscow Institute for Engineers of Geodesy and
Cartography, 103064  Russia, Moscow, Gorokhovsky Per 4.

(no, I'm not affiliated with this in any way... but this is so
unusual and unlikely to be widely advertized that I thought I'd bring
it to the attention of anybody who might be interested).

Phil Stooke
Department of Geography,
University of Western Ontario