Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:01:17 -0600
Subject:        RE: [MAPS-L] printing topos, etc.
Date:   Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:57:54 -0700
From:   Jeffery, Steve <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Russell (and everyone else);

The cost includes paper and ink only.

Our agency has a newer working plotter that is heavily used by other departments. We will continue to need this printer regardless of whether we start printing 1:24k topos. For this reason I did not include costs such as printer replacement, maintenance, etc. My own wild guess on usage is that printing of topos would not add more than a percent or two increase in use of the plotter each month.

I don't have the specific numbers in front of me anymore, but I believe the ink and paper were calculated to be less than .25 each assuming 50%? coverage. We then added in another .50 to account for maps of Forest Service lands (near 100% coverage when excluding the ~2.5 inch border), increases in costs, bad math, etc. The ink costs were calculated based on numbers from the manufacturer (HP). The paper costs were calculated from the cost per roll of paper.

Hope this helps (and makes sense).

-Steve