From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:09:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Assigning subject headings to GIS data sets
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Jennifer,

This has been a topic of discussion off and on for many years, in
particular because of the lack of appropriate topical headings or
subdivisions, and conversely very strict usage guidelines for things
that were established, such as the "Databases" one (please pay attention
to scope notes in authority records for this and other headings). But,
there has been some improvement on this front in recent months as it
applies to form/genre headings -- not necessarily subject headings or
subdivisions.

So, if you are already employing the 655 field for f/g headings, here's
a list of headings that might help in your instance of need:

Geodatabases
Geographic information systems
Geospatial data
Raster data
Vector data

And one thing you are correct about, the cataloger needs to know or find
out if the content of the database is primarily data or primarily
cartographic content, and then make appropriate subject
headings/subdivisions and/or form/genre headings choices. An obvious
example is that if you open a dataset and you don't find any
cartographic images as a part of it, then one would not apply the
subdivision "Maps" to any heading being used.

Paige