From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:15:32 EDT
3 messages.------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:53:11 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (Jim Coombs)
>Subject: Re: Reference question

Joseph,

Its Cos D = (sinL1 x SinL2) + (CosL1 x CosL2 x CosDlo)

where L1 = the latitude of place A
             L2 =the latitude of place B
             DLo = the difference in longitude between places A and B
             D = the arc distance (in degrees) between places A and B

taken from "Direct line distances" by Gary Fitzpatrick and Marilyn Modlin

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Southwest Missouri State University

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "MAP COLLECTION, CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Reference question

Direct-Line Distances by Gary L. Fitzpatrick and Marilyn J. Modlin
provides a formula for "Computing Great Circle Distances" in their
introduction. While maintaining that this formula (slightly modified
from the American Practical Navigator) does not provide the true
distance, "it does yield an answer that is accurate enough for
many purposes." The formula can be computed on any scientific calculator
which has the basic trigonometric functions.

Maureen Farrell
Cleveland Public Library Map Collection

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 07:54:04 +0200
>From: Peter van der Krogt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Reference question

The same question was put and answerd in may 1996. I forwarded the 5
answers of 15 May 1996 directly (I had saved it since I was interested in
the matter)

Peter
.
At 16:05 23-04-97 EDT, you wrote:
>Has anyone come across a mathematical formula for the distance between
>two points calculated from latitude and logitude coordinates?
>
>Joseph M. Winkler
>St. Louis Public Library

Visit the MapHist WWW page
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/maphist.htm>

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dr Peter van der Krogt
Map Historian, Explokart Research Program
Faculty of Geographical Sciences, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.115
3508 TC  UTRECHT, The Netherlands
<http://kartoserver.frw.ruu.nl/HTML/STAFF/krogt/krogt.htm>
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY