From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:23:12 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:21:25 -0600
From: Kent Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: [IFACTION:2420] Orders to purge records have librarians
worried              <fwd>
Sender: Kent Lee <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Alice, List:

I have one concrete example that may fall under this list.  About two months ago we were asked by the USGS to send back all inventory copies of a single CD-ROM disk containing 1:50,000 scale vector map data over Camp Lejuene, North Carolina.  Formally, this is NIMA VMAP-2 data (Item 101V001, Edition 1).  In paper terms this is the equivalent of four 1:50k NIMA-series topo sheets.  It was being recalled for security reasons, as I recall (this followed the temporary freeze on various USG info sources--incl
So, in short:  this is a case of a public domain government document being withdrawn from the public.

Advance apologies for this posting to April Carlucci:  I understand that she interprets all of my words as relatively worthless advertisements.  Oh, well.   What's a vendor to do?

Cheers,

Kent

 >>  I am forwarding this item from ALA's intellectual freedom listserve. Just
 >>  curious if mappy titles have come up for return or destroy under orders
 >>  from GPO.

 >>  As I theoretically watch out for "freedom to read/intellectual freedom"
 >>  issues for the Map and Geography Round Table of ALA, I would like to hear
 >>  of any maps, atlases, geographic reports which are requested to be
 >>  withdrawn.

 >>  As Map Division, NYPL is not in the vicinity of the government documents
 >>  department here at NYPL, I might not hear about same as soon as others
 >>  might. Thanks in advance for your input.

 >>  Alice C. Hudson
 >>  Chief, Map Division
 >>  The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
 >>  The New York Public Library
 >>  5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
 >>  New York, NY 10018-2788

 >>  [log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027
 >>  ----- Forwarded by ahudson/MHT/Nypl on 12/12/2001 06:34 PM -----

 >>  Sent by:                To:     Intellectual Freedom
 >>  Action News
 >>  owner-ifaction@al        <[log in to unmask]>
 >>  a1.ala.org              cc:
 >>  Subject:     [IFACTION:2420]
 >>  Orders to purge
 >>  records have librarians
 >>  worried
 >>  12/12/2001 06:21
 >>  PM
 >>  Please respond to
 >>  dwood

 >>  This Story has been sent to you by : [log in to unmask]

 >>  Librarians are protesting  government orders to destroy public information
 >>  in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

 >>  Read the full story at the address below:

 >>  http://web.star-telegram.com/content/fortworth/2001/12/08/topstory/fw01010
 >>  2-1208-XA001-security.htm

 >>  --- End Forwarded Message ---

Kent D. Lee