From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:08:36 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:06:24 -0600
From: Fernando Mazariegos <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: HealthMapper (fwd)

>From another list server:

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 10:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
Subject: RE: HealthMapper - UPDATE

Hello,
At this stage of the debate, I think that it is time to provide to the group
some information on the HealthMap team and the HealthMapper.

The document below should - I hope - help you. Unfortunately this format of
discussion list does not allow any Word attachemnet that would have made the
layout a little bit nicer...

Would you have any other questions after reading it, don't hesitate to
further contact us directly and we shall summarize the questions / answers
to the list.

All the best to all of you.

Isabelle Nuttall

--------------------
HealthMap and the HealthMapper

The Public Health Mapping team - or HealthMap -  consists in a core team of
6 persons based in WHO Geneva (see details at the end) and since recently
includes as well partners at WHO regional level (WHO has 6 regions)

The objective of the World Health Organization shall be the attainment by
all peoples of the highest possible level of health. WHO's mandate is
therefore to support members states (ministries of health) to reach this
objective.

In this context and since 1993, HealthMap has supported ministries of health
in over 60 developing countries in providing a range of services and
products tailored to support decision-makers and programme managers in the
use of GIS and mapping  for surveillance,  planning, management and
monitoring of public health programmes.
Services range from simple descriptive mapping of disease distribution
through advanced spatial analysis  (calculating populations at risk of
disease), custom training, to design and implementation to improve disease
surveillance information management and health information system
development

The HealthMapper has been developed by the WHO HealthMap team.  It has been
designed to make use of mapping and spatial analysis more accessible to
public health administrators at all levels of the health system.

The HealthMapper is an integrated geographic database complete with data
management and mapping applications tailored for public health applications.

The HealthMapper combines three components including:
A standardized core geographic database;
A user-friendly data management;
A simple mapping interface.

The system is based on the same mapping engine (MapObjects 2) used for
ArcView by the ESRI company.  As such the system is compatible with ArcView
in so far as the geographic database which is in Microsoft Access and the
digital basemaps (in ArcView Shapefiles) can be taken and used separately
with ArcView.  This is particularly useful if further advanced analyzes are
required.

The most essential part of the HealthMapper is its core geographic database.
This represents the collection and standardization of all known existing
data of individual countries relating to the following features:

Digital maps of administrative boundaries (national, sub-national)
Digital maps of roads, rivers, forests, elevation
Locations of villages (including village names and codes)
Locations/type of health infrastructure
Location/type of school infrastructure
Location/type of safe water points
Population
by administrative level
by village
Population density raster map

The  HealthMapper Database is developed in collaboration with various
national ministries of each partner country.  The database integrates
several multisectoral datasets which were retrieved from variety of sources
in country.

Frequently Asked Questions:

For which countries has the core geographic dataset being developed?

Initially, the priority areas for the development and implementation of the
HealthMapper was Africa and S.E Asia.  Consequently, the database is more
established for some countries than others.   Nevertheless, it is true to
say that even without the village level geographic data such as villages,
health facilities etc, the HealthMapper can be used to enter, visualise and
map data at global, regional, national  and sub-national levels down to the
first and second administrative level.

A full catalogues of core geographically related data available by country
is available from the HealthMap team.

How can I obtain the HealthMapper?

For National Governments (Ministries of Health, Water, Education etc)

In accordance with the individual agreements established between countries
and the HealthMap Programme, each country geographic database and the
HealthMapper data management and mapping interfaces will be made freely
available on CD-ROM to interested national ministries in their respective
countries.

Other Partners/users:  Since the HealthMapper contains essential geographic
database, access to the database by other users and/or partners is arranged
through a series of collaborative agreements executed by the HealthMap
Programme.

What is the current status of development of the HealthMapper.

Pilot versions of the HealthMapper have been implemented in several
developing countries for different programmes (Roll Back Malaria,
Onchocerciasis control, Guinea worm eradication, etc...) . A robust version
is expected by October 2001. At this date we shall activate as well a users
support list.

Copyright
WHO holds copyright on the HealthMapper system.

The HealthMap Team can be contacted as follows:

The HealthMap Team
Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response
Department of Communicable Disease Surveillance and Response
Communicable Diseases Cluster
World Health Organization
1211 Geneva 27
Switzerland

Tel: +41-22-791-3881
Fax: +41-22-791-4198
Web site:       http.//.www.who.ch/programmes/ctd/healthmap.htm

The HealthMap Team:

Jean-Pierre Meert, Group Leader, HealthMap (email: [log in to unmask])
Isabelle Nuttall, Medical Officer, HealthMap (email: [log in to unmask])
Kathy O'Neill, Public Health Technical Officer HealthMap (email:
Flavien Ake, Systems Developer - HealthMapper (email: [log in to unmask])
Michael Black, Systems Administrator - Global Atlas of Infectious Diseases
(email: [log in to unmask])
Bram Piot, GIS/Data Manager (email: [log in to unmask])

Dr Isabelle NUTTALL, MD, MPH
Communicable Disease Surveillance / HealthMap
WHO
20, Avenue Appia
1211 Geneva
Switzerland